Have you ever had a file that you needed to send to someone, but the file was too large to be sent via conventional email? This often happens to me when I have to send a video file for another person to review. In the past, I would just use my Public folder from my Dropbox account, but since I am running out of space in my Dropbox account, I started looking for an alternative. Upon some inquiry with my friends in ITS, I found out that Cal Poly has a subscription to a service called FileSender that allows you to send files to any internet user as long as they have access to email and an appropriately configured web browser. The best part is that you can send a file to an on- or off-campus recipient — the recipient doesn’t have to be a Cal Poly employee.
Another great feature is that FileSender can accommodate sending out files up to 1TB in size. This is a great way to send a large GIS or video file to an individual student when you don’t want to place it in PolyLearn, One Drive, or on YouTube. All you have to do is upload the file to the FileSender server and provide the email address of the intended recipient and the recipient will be informed via email with a link for downloading the file. The file you have sent will automatically be deleted from the server after two weeks from the sent date, whether or not it was ever downloaded by the recipient. Unfortunately, I don’t think knowledge of this subscription service has gotten around to many people beyond ITS employees at Cal Poly, so I thought some of you might find this information useful. Here’s instructions on the process from my experience using it several times in the last week:
1) In your browser, go to the following URL: https://filesender.internet2.edu/
(Note: I’m on a Macintosh computer and I found that my go-to browser, Safari, didn’t work well with this service; however, Firefox worked fine.)
2) Click on the Logon button on the FileSender page.
3) FileSender will bring up a page that asks you to enter your organization’s name. Type “California” in the search box and it will bring up a list of California organizations that participate in FileSender’s service. Click on California Polytechnic State University – San Luis Obispo and then click on the Continue button. Alternatively, you can also click on the link Allow me to pick from a list and scroll through the list until you find Cal Poly, SLO, but this takes a bit longer to do. (Note: After the first time of using FileSender, there will be an icon to denote Cal Poly that you can just click upon instead of searching or picking from the list.)
4) FileSender will take you to the Cal Poly Portal login page. Log in to the Cal Poly Portal as you normally would with your Username and Password and click on the Sign In button.
5) FileSender will automatically bring up the Send File page after you log in. Type in the email address of the intended recipient in the To: textbox. You can then optionally type a Subject line and a Message. FileSender will list an Expiry date to denote when the file will be removed from the server (i.e., in two weeks). Click on the Browse… button to navigate to the file you wish to send and click on the checkbox that says I accept the terms and conditions of this service. Then, click on the large Send button. (Note: You can only send one file at a time, but you can do this as many times as you wish.)
6) Your recipient will receive an email similar to the example below with a link to click on in order to download the file. (Note: You will receive a copy of this email as well.)
7) If you want to check back at a later time regarding which files you sent, to whom, and when the expiration date is, you can click on the My Files button on the main page of FileSender.
8) Another great feature of FileSender is that you can send someone outside of Cal Poly a guest voucher that allows them to send you a file that might be too big to send via email. (Note: You can also send a guest voucher to Cal Poly faculty, staff, or students who don’t understand the FileSender system, but need to send you a large file). To send a guest voucher to someone, click on the Guest Voucher button on the main page.
9) Fill out the Guest Voucher form. The Guest Voucher page also shows you at the bottom who you sent a guest voucher link to in the past.
10) The person you sent the Guest Voucher to will receive an email that looks something like this:
11) That’s it! Be sure to log off of FileSender when you are finished.
~ Luanne Fose (The Tweed Geek)